So Hampshire U17's travelled to Horsham RFC for a floodlit evening game today. Good preparation got the journey out of their system and they started with full throttle. It took 3 minutes in which they dominated to work their way to in front of Sussex's posts thanks to a crashing run from winger Sully Brown. From 3 metres out centre Harry Rabjohn picked and went to be stopped short of the line but scrum half Jack Philips dived in to score. Ben Sauve, fullback, converted to make it 7-0.


Hampshire dominated with strong forward play and great tactical play by fly half Tom Edmunds. They crossed the line 10 minutes later but it was deemed to be held up. Sussex managed to retain some ball and pressed the Hampshire line. Hooker Josh Fisher was yellow carded for not rolling away and Sussex used the extra man to score their first try of the game but couldn't convert. (7-5)


Hampshire stayed in control with solid defence by Sam Hughes and Ben Clayton. Harry R kicked a penalty on 33 minutes to take them in to half time 10-5 up.


Hampshire flew out their blocks again and pressed for 5 minutes but frustration led to an ambitious pass being attempted that was intercepted and Sussex ran 80 metres to score under the posts. An easy kick and they went 12-10 ahead. Hampshire got straight back to work and soon reserve fly half Ben Griffin scrambled in for a try that that Harry R converted, 17-12.


Flanker Will Strevens and No 8 Alex Georgiou were making ground with every carry. Tremendous defensive pressure by the Hampshire front five stopped Sussex from playing their forward game and errors out wide gave Hampshire the ball back. An interchange on the left wing between Sully and Harry R saw Harry touchdown under posts and Ben S converted, 24-12. 4 minutes later Sully scored his second and Be S converted 31-12. Sussex were determined not to give up on the game and after a period of determined play added 5 more points.


Hampshire had 2 minutes left to play and decided that they wanted another score. Winning the ball back after the kick-off they worked their way into Sussex 22. a series of pick and goes got them to within a metre and prop Ben Clayton crashed over. 36-17 final whistle.


Fly Half Tom Edmunds was Hampshire man of match. 


We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site

EU Cookie Directive Plugin Information