Match report from Tottonians by Keith Searle


Havant 8-22 Tottonians  


The game was played in torrential rain with a very strong wind blowing across the park but Havant's new 4G pitch and floodlights enabled a good game to be played.


 After five minutes Richard Colmer kicked deep to find touch in Havant's twenty two.


 Totts turned over the line out and Nick Jones made a strong run toward the Havant line.  From the resulting ruck the ball reached Josh Andrews who stepped inside his opposite number to score out wide 0-5.


Totts gained line out possession on Havant's ten metre line ten minutes later and launched a driving maul deep into their twenty two.  The ball was passed along the backs to the left, before, from a ruck a long miss pass to the right found Jack Owsley who made ground before off loading to Nick Jones who sprinted in from ten metres out 0-10 after seventeen minutes. 


Havant's hooker made a great break from his own five metre line to get down to Totts twenty two.  Totts gave away a penalty and the ball was kicked for touch.  Totts stopped the drive illegally and from the second line out a number of Havant pick and goes were stopped short of Totts line.


 Totts eventually forced a knock on but had strayed offside.  Havant kicked the penalty in front of the posts 3-10 with twenty eight minutes played.  Totts received the ball from the kick off and another fine Richard Colmer touch finder gave Havant a line out on their ten metre line.

Totts turned over the Havant line out again and launched an attack from which Dan Drake almost scored but he was dragged down just short.  Play was brought back as Havant were off side earlier in the move and Totts kicked for touch.  


Totts drove the maul forward from the line out before player/coach Gavin Hart broke off to go over to score a try against his former club.  A great conversion by Richard Colmer in the conditions gave Totts a 3-17 lead with five minutes to go until half time and Totts retained this useful lead at half time.  


Havant came back strongly in the second half and Totts were defending in their own half but excellent tackling and poor attacking decisions held them at bay.  On thirty minutes Dan Drake, who was in fine form throughout, turned over a ruck on his own five metre .  He passed to Jack Owsley who was also having a great game.  Jack passed to Josh Andrews who kicked ahead and pressurised Havant's defender who was in his own twenty two.  His poor clearance kick was fielded by Scott Rogers who almost made the line before setting up a ruck.  After two pick and goes Frank Bagnall went over from short range to score Totts fourth try, 3-22. 


Ali Ramus and Richard Buck were then both yellow carded in quick succession for high tackles leaving Totts with thirteen men for the last five minutes.  


Havant built pressure and numbers told as they went over for their first try with three minutes remaining.  Totts kicked deep from the kick off and forced a line out deep in Havant's half, this resulted in a scrum and Totts pushed Havant back over their own line but failed to touch the ball down.


This brought an end to a great game in the conditions with Totts thoroughly deserving the win, having out scored their opponents four tries to one.  


It was great to see the boys win the Hampshire Challenge Cup for the first time with Richard Colmer being voted Man of the Match.

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site

EU Cookie Directive Plugin Information