Trojans Academy V Winchester Colts

League 1 Cup Final

Thursday 19th April.


Trojans Academy and Winchester Colts were meeting for the 7th and last time this season, having already played each other in the league, Cup and National Cup competitions, with the score standing at 3 wins each. The event had drawn a good crowd of supporters from both clubs.


The Cup Final proved to be an intense physical game of high quality and excitement. Winchester started strongly and were soon two converted tries to the good. Trojans seemed to have no answer to Winchester’s power and pace. A brief comeback was snuffed out 5 metres from the line when the ball went loose, was pounced on by the fast and agile Winchester wing who ran the length of the pitch to score.


A yellow card for the Trojans 10 (England Counties U18 player Tom Knight-Owen) put additional pressure on the defence and although no points were conceded during this period, a fourth Winchester try followed shortly after his return and with the conversion left Trojans trailing 0-24 after only 24 minutes and with seemingly no way back into the game.


With 10 minutes to go before half time Trojans seemed to find their groove and scored a well worked, converted try, and with the last play of the half, a second try, following a period of excellent support work, saw Trojans go over close to the posts. With the conversion coming back off the posts Trojans went into the break 24-12 down, but with a glimmer of hope.


Would the missed conversion prove to be decisive at the end?


The second half saw a complete reversal of fortunes as Trojans surged forward again and again.


Fitness has been a core sentiment for the Trojans squad throughout the season and once again it was to be, as the hardworking Winchester forwards started to show the pace, a yellow card in the Winchester pack was to prove critical.


At 24-24 there was a huge cheer from the Trojans supporters which carried the team forward again and soon it was 31-24.


Winchester, awarded a penalty just inside the Trojans half, opted to kick for goal and a well struck ball sailed between the posts in the night sky.


With the tension palpable both on and off the pitch it was Trojans who once again crossed the line, converting to make it 38-27. For the last 5 minutes it was left to Trojans to hold on against repeated Winchester attacks until the final whistle. (The second half score of 26-3 tells its own story)


Once again – WELL DONE to both squads of players.

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site

EU Cookie Directive Plugin Information